Special Your daily source of information Explore Now
Search powered by Google. Results may include advertisements.
World Posted on 6 days ago

Trump orders US military to reduce drills with South Korea, says they send ‘hostile’ signal

By Editorial Team Posted on 6 days ago
Trump orders US military to reduce drills with South Korea, says they send ‘hostile’ signal
Washington:

US President to substantially reduce planned joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the annual drills were set to begin. Trump linked the decision to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and also criticised South Korea for declining to support US efforts to denuclearise Iran.

The announcement came on Sunday, August 16, ahead of the 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which were scheduled to begin on August 17. Around 18,000 South Korean troops were expected to participate in the drills, which are designed to strengthen the allies' readiness against potential threats from North Korea.

What did Trump say about the military exercises?

Trump said he had instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the joint exercises, arguing that the drills were expensive and could send an inappropriate signal to North Korea. In a social media post, Trump pointed to his relationship with Kim Jong Un and said North Korea had been “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency. He also argued that the exercises could be perceived as hostile by Pyongyang.

Trump acknowledged that the drills were already due to begin and said it was too late to cancel them completely. Instead, he directed the Pentagon to scale them back.

Trump links decision to South Korea's stance on Iran

Trump also brought South Korea's position on Iran into his explanation for the move. He said he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung to join the US in efforts to denuclearise Iran, but claimed Seoul declined. Trump wrote that the two issues were “somewhat unrelated” before nevertheless mentioning South Korea's refusal as part of his reasoning for reducing the military exercises.  The decision comes as Washington's relationship with some of its allies has faced tensions over support for US military operations and foreign policy priorities.

What is Ulchi Freedom Shield?

Ulchi Freedom Shield is an annual US-South Korea military exercise intended to strengthen the two allies' combined defence readiness. The 2026 drills were scheduled to run for 11 days, with around 18,000 South Korean troops taking part. The exercises include live, virtual, constructive and field-based training designed to prepare forces for complex scenarios involving North Korean threats.

Planned activities include a live-fire exercise to test joint precision targeting and manoeuvres, a wet-gap crossing and the distribution of pre-positioned military equipment.

US and South Korean forces have described the exercises as defensive in nature and aimed at maintaining the alliance's readiness.

North Korea has already warned against the drills

Trump's announcement comes just days after North Korea criticised the planned exercises and threatened unspecified “stern” measures against the US and South Korea. Pyongyang has described the annual drills as a rehearsal for an aggressive war. Such warnings have frequently preceded US-South Korean military exercises, while North Korea has also used previous drills as a justification for weapons tests.

North Korea recently resumed ballistic missile testing after a pause. South Korea, the US and Japan detected a short-range ballistic missile launch earlier this month, marking Pyongyang's first ballistic weapons test since late June, according to the report.

Trump and Kim Jong Un have held three summits

Trump's latest decision also comes a day after he shared a photograph of himself with Kim Jong Un and referred to their relationship positively. The two leaders met three times during Trump's first presidential term to discuss North Korea's nuclear programme. Their diplomacy ultimately broke down in 2019, after which North Korea continued expanding its nuclear and missile capabilities.

Since returning to the White House, Trump has again expressed interest in reviving discussions with Kim.

Trump had previously called the drills provocative

This is not the first time Trump has sought to scale back or halt US-South Korea military exercises. During his first term, Trump announced after his 2018 summit with Kim in Singapore that the US would stop what he called “war games”, describing them as costly and provocative. He had said the exercises could resume if negotiations with North Korea failed to progress.

The latest announcement therefore marks a return to an approach Trump has taken before, although it comes at a time when North Korea has resumed missile testing and expanded its military cooperation with Russia.

(With inputs from PTI)Also read:
Priyanka
Priyanka
@priyanka143 —

I love how this website brings important stories to life with clarity and depth. It's become my go-to place for trustworthy content.

Recent Posts
When and where to watch Premier League live on TV and stream online in India?
Sports When and where to watch Premier League live on TV and stream online in India? Posted on 2 days ago
Pakistan move to bottom of WTC points table after shambolic defeat to England - Check full table
Sports Pakistan move to bottom of WTC points table after shambolic defeat to England - Check full table Posted on 2 days ago
Sajid Khan makes a comeback with Hero Ki Horrorine, starring Govinda
Entertainment Sajid Khan makes a comeback with Hero Ki Horrorine, starring Govinda's son Yashvrdhn Ahuja and Nitanshi Goel Posted on 2 days ago
Sajid Khan makes a comeback with Hero Ki Horrorine, starring Govinda
Entertainment Sajid Khan makes a comeback with Hero Ki Horrorine, starring Govinda's son Yashvardhan Ahuja and Nitanshi Goel Posted on 3 days ago
Sowcar Janaki dies at 94 in Chennai due to age-related health issues
Entertainment Sowcar Janaki dies at 94 in Chennai due to age-related health issues Posted on 3 days ago
Babita Singh Reporting trailer is out now; Nimisha Sajayan, Barun Sobti headline Prime Video
Entertainment Babita Singh Reporting trailer is out now; Nimisha Sajayan, Barun Sobti headline Prime Video's thriller Posted on 3 days ago
RPG fired, panic on board: Moment when ship with 21 Indians was attacked by Iranian naval forces | VIDEO
World RPG fired, panic on board: Moment when ship with 21 Indians was attacked by Iranian naval forces | VIDEO Posted on 3 days ago
Taapsee Pannu turns fierce mother in Gandhari, know when the Netflix thriller will stream
Entertainment Taapsee Pannu turns fierce mother in Gandhari, know when the Netflix thriller will stream Posted on 3 days ago
Kangana Ranaut reacts to Sharmila Tagore
Entertainment Kangana Ranaut reacts to Sharmila Tagore's Vande Mataram remark: 'Please come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset' Posted on 3 days ago
RPF fired, panic on board: Moment when ship with 21 Indians was attacked by Iranian naval forces | VIDEO
World RPF fired, panic on board: Moment when ship with 21 Indians was attacked by Iranian naval forces | VIDEO Posted on 3 days ago
India
Sports India's tour of Bangladesh is very likely to be postponed again, BCB president Tamim Iqbal indicates Posted on 3 days ago
Bangladesh Cricket Board suspends BPL for 2026-27 season, president Tamim Iqbal explains reason
Sports Bangladesh Cricket Board suspends BPL for 2026-27 season, president Tamim Iqbal explains reason Posted on 3 days ago
When and where to watch Premier League live on TV and stream online in India?
Sports When and where to watch Premier League live on TV and stream online in India?

The Premier League returns in the early hours of Saturday with Arsenal beginning their title defence against Coventry City. However, the biggest question of the 2026-27 season is whether the champions can hold their

Posted on 2 days ago
Read More
Pakistan move to bottom of WTC points table after shambolic defeat to England - Check full table
Sports Pakistan move to bottom of WTC points table after shambolic defeat to England - Check full table

England, under new captain Joe Root, secured a. Despite this, they remain seventh in the World Test Championship 2025-27 standings. Pakistan, meanwhile, moved to the bottom of the standings. They

Posted on 2 days ago
Read More
Sajid Khan makes a comeback with Hero Ki Horrorine, starring Govinda
Entertainment Sajid Khan makes a comeback with Hero Ki Horrorine, starring Govinda's son Yashvrdhn Ahuja and Nitanshi Goel

Ektaa R Kapoor and Amar Butala are collaborating on a new horror-comedy, Hero Ki Horrorine, which will be directed by Sajid Khan. The makers are bringing together supernatural elements, comedy and romance for w

Posted on 2 days ago
Read More