Delhi, New Delhi:According to reports, the next round of negotiations between the United States and Iran over their protracted nuclear conflict is scheduled for Tuesday in Geneva, Switzerland. After months of tension, the meeting is viewed as a crucial step in the process by both parties to try to find a solution. The talks are expected to be attended by US special envoys Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff.
Trump tries to reach an agreement.The necessity of a deal with Iran has been emphasized by US President Donald Trump. Trump told reporters that Iran might experience "traumatic" consequences if an agreement cannot be reached. Additionally, he called his recent meeting with Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister of Israel, "very good."
Trump stated, "We have to make a deal, otherwise it is going to be very traumatic," and warned that if no agreement is reached, things could rapidly change.
Iran shows that it is willing to make concessions.There are indications of cautious openness on the Iranian side. Majid Takht-Ravanchi, Iran's deputy foreign minister, told the BBC that if the US is open to talking about lifting sanctions, Tehran is prepared to consider making concessions. The ball is now "in America's court," he said, adding that both parties could work toward an agreement if Washington is sincere.
Iran's economy has been severely impacted by economic sanctions, which it has repeatedly demanded be lifted.
The US is adamant about nuclear weapons.Iran will never be permitted to obtain a nuclear weapon, according to US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.He restated Washington's long-held belief that regional and international security would be seriously threatened by an Iran with nuclear weapons.
Rubio also noted that Iran has previously targeted American interests, which is why the US has maintained military forces in the Middle East. His remarks coincide with reports that the US is deploying a second aircraft carrier as part of an effort to bolster its military presence in the area.
A transaction with a challenging pastThe 2015 nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), is connected to the ongoing negotiations.Iran and a number of international powers signed the agreement. Iran agreed to reduce its uranium stockpile to 300 kilograms and limit its uranium enrichment to 3.67 percent.
But when President Trump withdrew the US from the agreement in 2018, citing its flaws, the agreement fell apart.
What transpired during previous discussions?Previous rounds of talks took place in April 2025 in Rome, Italy, and Muscat, Oman. Although the discussions were characterized as serious by both parties, no significant progress was made. When the United States launched strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities in Fordow, Natanz, and Isfahan in June 2025 as part of "Operation Midnight Hammer," tensions skyrocketed. Iran vehemently denounced the attacks, claiming they were against the UN Charter and international law.
Separate trilateral meetings between Ukraine, Russia, and the United States are planned for February 17–18 in Geneva, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russia's TASS news agency.